So you’ve made your reservations. You’ve arrived at your destination. Now, what???
I hope you planned ahead and covered a few necessities before check-in and unpacking. The last thing you want to do is start covering some loose ends after you arrive. Now that you’re here, you want to have fun! Here are a few to-dos you may want to cover prior to settling into your Hilton Head rental villa or home.
1. Grocery shopping
Ever been to Hilton Head Island before? Check-in times are typically at 4 p.m. every Saturday. Do you know what the vast majority of vacationers are doing after arriving on the island?
THEY ARE GOING GROCERY SHOPPING!
Locals know to stay away from grocery stores Saturday afternoons during the summer. Best recommendation would be to, “Shop online, not in line!”
Cyber Valet Grocery can handle your grocery shopping ahead of time — even if it’s just a few staple items or necessities to get you through the weekend. You can select the items you want, pay online and … that’s it! The groceries will be at your home or villa upon arrival. How sweet is that!
2. Plan your Hilton Head Island activities
Do you know what you are planning on doing once you arrive to our foot-shaped island off the coast of South Carolina? Play golf or tennis? Maybe some water sports?
There’s a good chance quite a few of the best times and activities could already be booked up by the time you arrive. Why not take care of these items before you trek down to Hilton Head? Remember, you are on vacation now. Don’t work at having fun by finding things to do. Here are a few recommendations on what to do and who to contact before you get down:
- Outside Hilton Head – Everyone wants to be outside when you are visiting the island. Guided kayak tours, fishing, dolphin tours, charters, paddle boarding, rentals, and even beach yoga! Your “one stop shop” for outdoor water activities.
- Golf Now – Wanting to tee it up during your island visit? Better look at booking that tee time in advance before you arrive. There are a good number of courses to choose from, but more often then not the best times and rates could very well be gone if you wait.
- Coastal Discovery Museum – Why not learn a little about this island vacation destination you are visiting. You will be surprised about the history and the culture that surrounds you.
- Hilton Head Bicycle Company – Why not ride a bike! The Town of Hilton Head Island is recognized as one of the top 25 bicycle-friendly communities in the United States and one of only 21 to achieve the Gold Level award from the League of American Bicyclists.
- Local festivals and events — Hilton Head is known some really fun outdoor events and festivals. Stay in the know with my e-newsletter. Each month, we outline what’s happening on the island. Sign up here.
3. Visit Savannah
Savannah, GA is one of our countries oldest and most historic cities is only an hour’s drive from Hilton Head. Take a guided tour, visit River Street, have lunch at Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House, take in the arts & culture, are whatever you want. It will definitely fill up an entire day. Just plan ahead!
4. Get out on the water
Everyone needs to get out on the water during their visit to Hilton Head. After all, we are on an island! If you’ve already done that kayaking or jet ski thing, why not leave the driving to the professionals? Contact Vagabond Cruise for an assortment of cruising options. From dinner cruises and dolphin watch cruises to Savannah Day Trips, the Vagabond Cruise company has it all.
5. Plan for bad weather
The last thing you want is to wake up to that sound of thunder and pouring rain during a Hilton Head Island vacation. Hey, it can happen!
So plan ahead for an indoor activity and visit a distillery. Opened in 2015, the Hilton Head Distillery offers daily tours and tastings at their onsite facility Monday thru Thursday. You can even purchase a bottle or two to take home with you. Age restrictions do pertain.
These few recommendations should help you with your upcoming island visit. There is just so much to do down here.
Well, there’s at least “101 Things To Do.”
Need any further assistance?
Please don’t hesitate to give me a call or fill out the form. If I don’t have the answer to your question, I know who will!